from 1949

Sardus Pater Vineyard

Sardus Pater Winery is on Sant’Antioco Island, in the South Western part of Sardinia.

Established in 1949 as a limited liability cooperative company, activities have started in 1955. Through the years wine production has been enhanced, focusing especially on Carignano grapes variety.
Grapes, supplied by 200 associates, come from a 300 hectares area planted with vines. There are mainly Carignano vineyards and the most ancient ones are located on Sant’Antioco Island. They date back to at least 50 years, planted on sandy soil with low yields per hectare, producing top quality grapes. Out of these vineyards the Winery produces its most refined red wines.

Since 1994 grape harvest the winery starts producing also Vermentino. There is also a limited but very well cared for production of Moscato and Nasco, cultivated in ungrafted vineyards, and Monica and Cannonau.
Every bottle produced comes from an accurate selection of grapes and a careful wine-making, to guarantee customers have a top quality wine.

The enological management of the company is up to the enologist Francesco Bertagna with the enological consultancy by Riccardo Cotarella.

A coin ancient and precoius as its wine

The crop of the grapevine constitutes from the principal resource of the inhabitants of this earth that Plinio called Aenosis Insula.

Two thousand years ago its vineyards already furnished the grape from which the Romans drew the famous Protropum an appreciated wine destined to the tables of the patricians and the more elevated social classes. Solci, that rose where the actual Sant’Antioco is, as award of its fidelity in Rome, and perhaps also thanks to its vineyards, was authorized to coin money in 59 B.C.

The same Caesar made to coin the Sardus Pater, by now rare and precious. Today as then the prosperous grapevine on the hills of the island and the Sardus Pater vineyard proposes to the consumer the wine Sardus Pater, to distinguish, with the name of the coin, the best production of every year and to remember the ancientoenologic tradition  of the Aenosis Insula.

  • SANT’ANTIOCO (South Sardinia) – 10th august, from 21:00 to 01:00. Around city centre, in Piazza De Gasperi, Via Castello, Via Cavallotti, Via Foscolo, Via Necropoli. Food & wine tour managed by Cooperativa Cantine Sardus Pater in association with its own staff. (more…)

  • Roberto Matzeu, young winemaker from Sant’Antioco, has won the award Next in Wine 2013, promoted by Simonit&Sirch Preparatori d’Uva and by the Scuola Italiana di Potatura della Vite, in cooperation with Bibenda and Associazione Italiana Sommelier. (more…)

  • Is Arenas 2009 confirms its great success in relation to national and international critics. Sardus Pater Winery Reserve 2009 wins: Three Glasses Gambero Rosso (Vini d’Italia 2014); 5 Bunches Ais (Bibenda 2014); Great Wine Slow Wine (Editore Slow Food).

127

Awards

5000

Hectolitres produced

14

Varietals

from ungrafted vineyards cultivated in Sant’Antioco Island

Sant'Antioco Island Line

  • Arruga
    Sulcis Carignano Superior DOC. 18 months refinement in tonneaux
  • Is Arenas
    Sulcis Carignano Reserve DOC. 12 months refinement in barrique
  • Nur
    Sulcis Carignano DOC. Refined in concrete basins
  • Amentos di Carignano
    Sulcis Carignano Passito wine DOC. Late harvest

Sulcis Line

  • Lugore
    Sardinian Vermentino DOC
  • Terre Fenicie
    Sardinian Vermentino DOC
  • AD 49
    Sardinian Vermentino Brut Classic DOC. Classic Method
  • Kanai
    Sulcis Carignano Reserve DOC
  • Is Solus
    Sulcis Carignano DOC
  • Horus
    Sulcis Carignano Rosè DOC

Sardinia Line

Portfolio

The Vineyard

Location

The island of Sant’Antioco was settled at least from the 5th millennium BC, which was based mainly on fishing and agriculture. Typical tombs (called domus de janas) and menhirs belonging to this culture have been found.
In the 8th century BC the Phoenicians founded a new settlement, with the name of Solki, of which a tophet (children) necropolis has been excavated. Later (6th century BC) it became a Carthaginian colony. The Punic domination ended in the 2nd century BC, when Solki was conquered by the Romans, who connected it to the mainland through an artificial isthmus. During Roman times, it was called Plumbaria, after its lead deposits.
The current city name derives from St. Antiochus, evangelizer of the area, who was martyred in 125 AD.

Call us at (+39) 0781 83937

Events and Reservations